Kabuki produced it’s own fanzine, ‘Between Thy Hips’ – which lasted only one issue before the band became Ausgang. But the new outfit put out IT’S own ‘zine, ‘Stab The Sun’, which lasted 8 issues before it – and the band (then Ausgang A-Go-Go) – folded.
Rumblefish were a UK indie pop group, formed in Birmingham in 1986. After several releases on independent labels they were signed by East West who issued the band’s only album while still together in 1992.
The band was formed in 1986 with a line-up of Jeremy Paige (vocals, guitar), Dominic Crane (guitar, keyboards), Phil Edwards (bass guitar), and Rupert Knowlden (drums).Their first release was the track “Theatre King” on the Pink Label’s Beauty compilation. The band had an Indie hit single with “Tugboat Line” in 1987 followed by releases on Summerhouse Records (“Medicine” in 1988 and “Don’t Leave Me” in 1989). The band signed to Atlantic Records imprint East West Records in 1991, releasing a self-titled album in 1992. A retrospective album of early singles called 1234 The Early Singles was released in 2006. Several tracks were also included on compilations (Beauty, It Sells or it Smells, The Sound Of Leamington Spa Vol. 6). Members of the band went on to form Low Art Thrill.
Chart placings shown are from the UK Indie Chart.
The brilliant and much missed Delta. Press/label release. Via Mike Davies.
This Moseley, Birmingham, England-based band remains one of the best kept secrets on the UK independent music scene. Delta was formed in 1993 by James Roberts (b. 4 March 1970, West Bromwich, West Midlands, England; guitar/vocals), Patrick Roberts (b. 1972, West Midlands, England; drums/vocals) and Robert Cooksey (b. 14 November 1969, Solihull, West Midlands, England; guitar), who had previously played together in cult indie band the Sea Urchins. Adding Bird (b. 1972, England; drums) and John Alford (b. 1977, England; bass), they debuted with the 10-inch single ‘Sugared-Up’ on the Che label. Three singles for Dishy Records followed before the band signed to the Acid Jazz Records subsidiary Focus. This move effectively put the band’s career on hold for almost five years, with no material being released. They eventually broke free of the contract, returning to early supporters Dishy. Laughing Mostly, a compilation of EP tracks and demos recorded between 1994 and 1997, finally saw the light of day in 1999. Cooksey was subsequently replaced by keyboard player Louis J. Clark, the son of noted arranger Louis Clark who collaborated with Jeff Lynne on most of ELO’s albums. The band’s debut album proper, Slippin’ Out, was recorded at UB40’s studios and utilised horns and a string section to augment the Roberts brothers’ classic pop songs. The follow-up was originally slated for release on a major label, but the band’s run of bad luck continued when they were dropped following a management reshuffle. Hard Light was eventually released on the band’s own label.
“‘Updoor’ was shot on Super-VHS and also Super-8 film during early 1996. The shoots took place at The Flapper and Firkin in Central Birmingham, (scene of several Vivarama gigs). The band mimed six times through to the track which was played through the house PA system. The footage was then (very laboriously) edited on a basic two machine S-VHS off-line suite. The video was filmed, directed and produced by the seven band members themselves, Sally-Anne Parker (‘Miss Smartness’ – vocals), Angela Freeman (‘Angie Baby’ – vocals), Jane Brisbourne (drums), Tony Sherrard (‘Shez’ – bass), Richard London (saxophone), Martin De Sey (guitar) and Robin Raymond Dallaway (guitar and chief tunesmith). Vivarama played their last gig just 6 months later at ‘The Flapper’ on 23rd August 1996. One cd single was released in 1995, ‘The Video Mixes’ – featuring ‘Drive-In Country’, ‘Dreamtrain’ and ‘Let’s Talk About Love’
[ read more of this info over at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqytvBTccRQ ]
The Imperial Picture Palace was located on Moseley Road at the corner of Clifton Road in the Balsall Heath district south of Birmingham city centre. It opened on 26th January 1914 with the Italian silent film “Satan’s Castle and John Bunny in “The Pirates”. It was designed by architect L.L. Dussault.
In 1927, it was reconstructed to the plans of architect Archibald Hurley Robinson, and the architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts, when the building was extended and a balcony installed. It re-opened on 14th November 1927 as the New Imperial Cinema.
Taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in October 1936, it was re-named New Imperial Super Cinema. It was closed as a regular cinema on 13th April 1963.
It was taken over by independent operators and re-opened as the Imperial Cinema, screening East Indian ‘Bollywood’ films. This closed on 3rd March 1983.
The Imperial Cinema re-opened again screening regular release films, and was taken over by the Council as a community centre, still screening ocassional films. It has now been demolished, and in the mid-2000’s, the site is an empty plot of land.
[ Info via http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/37360 ]